Tuesday, April 13, 2004

In Loving Memory of Rebecca Grace Righeimer...

My blog is turning to a more solemn note today. I've been trying to focus on getting things done, but I feel compelled to share my thoughts on a very tender matter from the heart.

This has been a rough day. I have a kind of aching pain that justs seems to linger. Today, April 13th, is what would have been my deceased cousin, Rebecca's, fifth birthday. A little girl i had baby-sat for. Her death has affected deeply me since Sunday, December 28, 2003, when she died.

When I awoke this morning, the first thing i saw was the framed picture of me and Rebecca that i keep on my nightstand. The picture was taken the last day she was alive. She and I were sitting on my grandmother's couch, my arm around her and smiling. My grandmother's new kitten lay peacefully in Rebecca's lap. I can't believe that within twelve hours of that picture Rebecca was dead.

Her death hit so close to home because I had spent the entire day before she died with her. We played together, bounced around in the bounce house that was set up in my grandma's backyard, and I watched her torment the cat. I even got to take her up into my arms and say goodbye to her. What a blessing.

At her funeral, the hardest part was watching the parents. Lene, Rebecca's mom was crying bitterly, while holding her two-year old who would wipe away her tears with her blanket. The father, Jim, sat by Lene and cried as he watched his daughter's tiny coffin be carried into the church. I kept imagining Rebecca's body laying in there, lifeless. It was so unbelievable

I feel such deep pity and remorse for the parents, Jim and Lene. Two of the most delightful people I have ever met, are now trying to cope with the death of their beautiful four year-old. She was here for such a short time.Ever since that day I treasure those around me so much more. I will never know if it'll be the last time I will see them. I have watched my younger cousins, deal with Rebecca's death. William, a six year-old, said it plainly, "I'm glad Rebecca is in Heaven, she won't have to be sad ever again." I tousle his hair and smile at him, because I know he's speaking the truth.

Luckily, Jim and Lene have another daughter, Morgan, an adorable two year-old, and they have another daughter due in May. Lene and Jim will need prayers especially around this time. Remember them in your prayers today.