Tuesday, January 23, 2007

A Dr. Laura Bit

I'm a bit of a Dr. Laura fan. I read her books, I podcast her show, I have her action figure...

Well, today while I was listening I heard a pretty interesting call, thought I'd share.

A man called in identifying himself as an Evangelical Christian who has married a Greek Orthodox woman who had a very religious family. He went on to say how offended he is when they pray in front of the icons before Thanksgiving/Christmas dinner type things. He also really didn't like the fact that they say prayers to Mary and written prayers instead of "from the heart" prayers.

Dr. Laura (laughing): You're kidding me, right? You marry a Greek Orthodox Christian...

Man: Yes.

Dr. Laura:...and you're complaining about seeing icons and them honoring Mary? That's hilarious.

Man: Well...

Dr. Laura: Isn't that a little ridiculous? What did you expect to hear about when you married into an Orthodox family?

Man: But I wonder if I could ask while I'm there that they not say those things...

Dr. Laura: It's their house, it is their style and ardent beliefs. And you MARRIED into their sphere. You didn't marry an Evangelical Christian you married a nice Orthodox girl. She has an Orthodox family. You sit there and remember you worship the same God. They worship God and my understanding is that they don't worship icons. So, view the icons as pictures from the Bible. That's not bad! And also, you have no right to be offended. No right at all. Think of it this way, if they changed their prayers and did it your way in their own house, wouldn't that be strange?

Man (Let's it sink in for a moment.): Yeah, that's true.

Dr. Laura: But if you marry into an Orthodox family don't expect them to change because youre not because you made the decision to join their family...they didn't.




-----------

I loved that!

4 Comments:

At 9:53 PM, Blogger layne (herman) said...

2 things-

1) I like Dr. Laura's response; and her response shows that she somewhat has an understanding of Orthodox Christianity.

2) Dr. Laura has an action figure?!? Who woulda figured.

 
At 7:40 PM, Blogger Bluecanopy said...

pretty wise. i've listened to her a few times now and have pretty much always appreciated what she's had to say.

 
At 9:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, you gotta love Dr. Laura. Part of what I just think is hilarious is how the people calling in ALWAYS think she's going to tell them what they want to hear, as if they've never noticed that she is hardcore and she'll likely rip you a new one if you sound lame or self-justifying.

Kind of surprised I've never heard anyone lose their temper with her. But then, I guess that's what having an 'off' switch on the volume is all about.

Grace

 
At 8:16 AM, Blogger E Rica said...

I've heard people hang up on her and lose their temper with her. But I don't always undersstand why. They call HER for advice. If you don't weant her advice just don't call her!

And no...you're not always going to hear what you want to hear.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home