Friday, February 23, 2007

The Smell of Nostalgia

I find it fascinating how one scent can remind me of so much.

It reminds me of Christmas 2004. It reminds me of having my cousins, RJ and Eddie, at our house (always a huge treat for me). It reminds me of working as an art teacher at PSMA. It reminds me of the first month of owning my Thunderbird (the Democrat). It reminds me of driving to work at 7:00 am during Christmas break. It reminds me of listening to the Beatles in the car on the way to work, like I did every morning. It reminds me of all those hours I spent on Redhill. It reminds me of the first time I commuted on Christmas Eve. It reminds me of my first Christmas with Sean. The first time I went to the Christmas party with the Reagans. It reminds me of playing dominos. It reminds me of Toys R Us. It reminds me of when I thought cell phones were novel. It reminds me of movie nights at the Larsens. It reminds me of the first time I drove to church by myself. It reminds me of Nativity and the song "Today the Virgin."


Wondering what scent this is? Blistex. I guess I wore that chapstick all throughout November/December 2004. I hadn't used this chapstick for 2 1/2 years and last night I bought some and I started to remember all of that. What can you call a scent that reminds you of so much? The Smell of Nostalgia? Now, I ask my readers :), do you have a scent that triggers your memories? If so, what is it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home